If you know any interesting facts about Central America that we did not include please let us know.
* An area of a rainforest the size of a football field is being destroyed each second.
* Giant bamboo plants can grow up to 9 inches a day.
* The trees of a tropical rainforest are so densely packed that rain falling on the canopy can take as long as 10 minutes to reach the ground.
* In the moist rainforests of South America, sloths move so slowly that algae are able to grow in their fur.
* Some rainforest monkeys are omnivores, eating both animals and plants.
* More than 2,000 different species of butterflies are found in the rainforests of South America.
* The forests of Central Africa are home to more than 8,000 different species of plants.
* Flying animals of Asian rainforests include frogs, squirrels and snakes.
* 80% of the flowers in the Australian rainforests are not found anywhere else in the world.
* Bats are essential for the pollination of many tropical foodstuffs such as bananas and mangoes.
* 1 out of 4 ingredients in our medicine is from rainforest plants.
* The Anaconda, the worlds heaviest snake lives in the rainforest of South East Asia.
* The largest tree in Central America is a silk cotton tree that is over 252 feet tall. It is located in Corcovado National Park in Costa Rica.
* The most highly forested country in Central America is Honduras, which is 40% forested.